FAQ about the Law (12)

The following Frequently Asked Questions are about the new law regulating Psychotherapy. Questions include why Regulation and when it comes into effect, about the role of associations and the different components of the regulation. 


What is a Health Regulatory College?

Thursday, 10 July 2014 02:05

Although health regulatory colleges are referred to as colleges, they are not schools. Health colleges were established by a law called the Regulated Health Professions Act to protect a consumer’s right to safe, competent and ethical health care.

Each college is able to protect the consumer’s right to safe, competent and ethical health care by holding its registered health care professionals accountable for their conduct and practice. In Ontario, for example, there are a total of 22 colleges that govern more than 256,000 health professionals across the province.

Colleges are directed by councils or boards of directors, consisting of professionals (elected by their peers), as well as members of the public (appointed by the Lieutenant Governor) who represent the publics’ interests as a health care consumer.

Why Regulation?

Thursday, 10 July 2014 02:06

Health regulatory colleges help to ensure excellence in care delivery. The colleges have the responsibility and legal authority to protect the public by:

  • Setting and enforcing standards and guidelines for the practice and conduct of their members
  • Making sure that regulated health professionals meet their training and educational standards before they can practice or use a professional title
  • Developing programs to help members continually improve their skills and knowledge, upholding the quality of care
  • Acting when you have a concern about your health care

The public has the confidence of knowing that only members of the colleges – regulated, highly trained health professionals – can use protected titles such as pharmacist, nurse, physician, massage therapist and dietitian.

Only these and other regulated health care professionals are accountable to a regulatory body for the quality of care they provide.

What is a Professional Association

Thursday, 10 July 2014 02:10

A professional association, also called a professional health body, professional health organization, or professional health society, is a non-profit organization seeking to further a particular health profession and the interests of the individuals engaged in that profession, also acting from within the profession to safeguard the public interest. 

In representing the interests of its professional practitioners, a professional health association is often involved in the development and monitoring of professional educational programs, and the updating of skills.

When does the new Psychotherapy Act come into effect?

Thursday, 10 July 2014 02:11

Bill 171, of which the Psychotherapy Act, 2007 was a part, received Royal Assent on June 4, 2007.

Only Sections I, 2 and 12 of the Act came into force at that time.They provide for the name of the new College; for incorporating the Health Professions Procedural Code into the Act; and for the transition period to set up the new College before the rest of the provisions come into force.

What is the structure of the Transitional Council?

Thursday, 10 July 2014 02:13

The Transitional Council has 13 members. Seven professional members and six members from the public. For a current list of members refer to www.crpo.ca.

What is the Registration Committee?

Friday, 11 July 2014 21:17

The key responsibility of the Registration Committee is to develop the Registration Regulation, including the qualifications, competency standards and other requirements for registration of psychotherapists and mental health therapists. Like the Professional Misconduct Regulation, the Registration Regulation must be approved by Council and the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care (MOHLTC). It must be in place in order for the Psychotherapy Act, 2007 to be proclaimed and the College to be viable.

Can I keep practicing legally using my current professional title?

Friday, 11 July 2014 21:20

Yes. Nothing will change during the period in which the Transitional Council is setting up the new College. You can continue to legally offer services under whatever professional title you are currently using. After you are registered with the new College, the College will provide further direction regarding titles.

If I don’t qualify for registration, how long will I have to upgrade my qualifications?

Friday, 11 July 2014 21:23

The Transitional Council will develop the criteria for assessing the right combination of academic training and professional experience that will be required to register. Each applicant that does not qualify initially will be provided with precise information about the upgrading required and the relevant timelines.

What about grandparenting?

Friday, 11 July 2014 21:25

Grandparenting is a mechanism that allows new regulatory bodies to register members who do not meet the academic/clinical requirements but who can show that they have relevant experience in the field. The draft Grandparenting requirements are listed on the TC website at www.crpo.ca.

Should I join a professional association or will I still need to be a member of my professional association after joining the new College?

Saturday, 12 July 2014 01:33

Colleges and professional associations have two distinct and totally separate functions. Colleges exist to serve and protect the interests of the public, the consumers of services, while professional associations exist to serve the interests of its members and the profession, the providers of services. There are clear benefits to retaining membership in your professional association after joining the new College. Your association will advocate on behalf of your profession, potentially provide liability insurance and will be an excellent source of information for you if the laws and regulations regarding the profession change. Your association will help you interpret these changes and will be lobbying the government if the changes adversely affect your practice or public protection.